After receiving a $1 million grant from the State of California to launch a tech startup accelerator, the City of Glendale conducted a nationwide search for potential operators. The Children’s Hospital Los Angeles KidsX Digital Health Accelerator was one of the City’s top choices for an accelerator in Glendale.
The launch of this new accelerator is an important part of the City of Glendale’s long term strategy to cultivate an ecosystem of innovation and prosperity for startups in the region.
Roadmap for Growing Glendale’s Tech Sector (2017)
Since the launch of the Glendale Tech Strategy, Glendale has implemented a number of initiatives to meet the goals and objectives outlined in the plan, in addition to the launch of the KidsX Acclerator. These are a few highlights:
- The creation of the annual Glendale Tech Week conference
- The launch of a second tech accelerator
- The attraction of two new coworking spaces to the downtown Glendale area
- Monthly networking “Glendale Tech on Tap”, meetups for innovators, founders and entrepreneurs consisting of a network of over 2,300 members
- Growth in private sector and tech community support, 1000% increase in Glendale Tech Week attendance from 2016 to 2019 with sponsorships growing by 26%
- A 15% increase in tech companies located in the City compared to 2016